Date:      Sun, 06 Sep 1998 15:12:22 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning HD's on a TP

> Hello,
>
> I'm setting up an IBM TP560X with a relatively gargantuan 6.4GB hard drive
> to run Win95 and FreeBSD.
>
> My plan was to make the Win95 partition 2GB and give the rest to FreeBSD,
> but I seem to be bumping up against the "keep all your root partitions
> below the 1024 cylinder limit" problem.  In the tutorials there is talk of
> using an "LBA" mode under some BIOS setups.  I haven't been able to locate
> this animal in the startup stuff on my Thinkpad.

Boot the FreeBSD install floppy with "-v" and when sysinstall comes up,
use the scrollback to look for the "BIOS geometries" message.

There are often (but not always) BIOS options related to "big disks"
which will change these values.  FreeBSD is constrained to follow these
in order to have the bootloader work.   If you can't tweak these
values, then you're stuck.

One workaround is to make a small DOS partition (2-300M), then your FreeBSD
partition, then an extended DOS partition behind it.

> Is that because there isn't one, or is that because I haven't found it?
> Has anyone found a way around this, or am I going to be adjusting my
> partitions?

At the moment, we can't be booted from a partition above the 1024
cylinder mark.  With 3.0 we will be able to do this, but you will have
to use something like System Commander as a boot selector, as booteasy
still won't be able to reach beyond the 1024 cylinder mark.