Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:13:54 -0600
From:      Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, questions@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic `nodump' flag?

Kirk McKusick wrote:

> The dump program runs on the raw disk partition dumping sequentially
> by inode number. So, it has no idea of the file-tree hierarchy.

I was just looking at the source to dump, specifically traverse.c and
from what I can see, doesn't dump pass #2 scan through all directories
and then in the searchdir() function remove a directory's children from
the list of inodes to backup if the directory has the nodump flag?

---------
414                 if (nodump) {
415                         ip = getino(dp->d_ino, &mode);
416                         if (TSTINO(dp->d_ino, dumpinomap)) {
417                                 CLRINO(dp->d_ino, dumpinomap);
418                                 *tapesize -= blockest(ip);
---------

	Barry