Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 13:02:44 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Ryan Loots <ryan@donald.iafrica.com>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: egrep and Variables

Hi There

> I might not normally reply to this message, but I was futzing with
> procmail (to move a bunch of mailing lists I'm getting, like this one, to
> run on my local news server, so I can read freebsd-questions from nn
> instead of pine), and came across the following:
>
> {foo} ~ 18:49 ttyp6 > man procmailrc

Been there done that and got the t-shirt :)
I first looked there, there is even an option to setup $USERNAME, however
I was hoping that I could do the same with $LOCALDOMAINS but nope it
doesnt work.

> ====snip====
> LOCALDOMAINS=(blah.com|blah.co.za|blah.org.za)
>
> :0:
> * $TOjsmith@$LOCALDOMAINS
> /home/jsmith/mail/personal
> ====snip====

That does not work at all, coz when egreps grep the procmail it actually
searches for the work $LOCALDOMAINS and does not use it as a variable.

> That's just a guess from the manual, though.  Look at the man pages and
> maybe there's an example somewhere.  The man pages for procmailrc(5) and
> procmailex(5) look helpful.  The other thing is that that expression for
> LOCALDOMAINS looks weird.  I could be wrong, however.

That they are, however they are not all that helpful for this specific
problem, or maybe it simply cant be done, hmm something to look at in the
next update?

____
Ryan
UUNet Internet Africa
http://donald.iafrica.com

Swahili, n.:
	The language used by the National Enquirer to print their
retractions.
		-- Johnny Hart