Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 07:09:28 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, sheldonh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: {kbd,vid}control insanity patch

Dima Dorfman wrote:

> Anyway, the option names are different simply because vidcontrol
> already has options with the orignal letters.  I agree with your
> assertion that keyboard stuff shouldn't be in a program that's
> supposed to control video.  However, DES is right that it is
> needlessly confusing to have two programs for vty-specific syscons
> stuff.  So what do you (and Sheldon) suggest?  Rename vidcontrol to
> <something-else>control?  Is the reason for splitting syscons(1) into
> kbdcontrol(1) and vidcontrol(1) still valid (what was the reason,
> anyway?)?

I don't see any confusion here. Do I want to change some display
property? vidcontrol. Do I want to change some keyboard property?
kbdcontrol. To me it's absolutely irrelevant whether the property is
per-vty or not. That's something to be documented on the man page and
grumbled about elsewhere (like the fact that I wish I could use
different keyboard maps on different vtys).

Perhaps from a programmer's point of view, one familiar with syscon&cia,
the vty-specificness of a function is of rather more importance, but
kbdcontrol(1) and vidcontrol(1) are not programm interfaces.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	wow regex humor... I'm a geek