Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:14:57 -0600
From:      "Dave Page" <davecpage@earthlink.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NT dual booting....

First, yes, I have RTFM (the FAQ at freebsd.org and the
links) and I'm either too dumb to understand it, or it
didn't supply what I needed.

Situation:  Installed FreeBSD (3.3) on a 4.3 gig HD.  Works
fine.  Got new HD (17.3 gig).  Have made 17.3 gig primary
master and installed MS Workstation on it.  4.3 gig drive
(w/BSD) is now primary slave--the MS fdisk shows the
partition on the 4.3 as  still ACTIVE.  Of course, the first
partition on the 17.3 gig drive is also active, but *it* is
the master.

QUESTION 1:  Can I alter the NT boot loader to boot BSD off
of the slave HD?  If so, do I need to make the BSD partition
on the slave HD non-active?  If so, how (the MS fdisk
doesn't work)?  Here is what I've added to my boot.ini, and
it doesn't work:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\XXXXX="FreeBSD"

In place of the XXXXX I have tried "boot" and I have tried
"kernel" (no quotes of course).  I get an NT error that says
"NT couldn't start because ntoskrnl.exe is missing or
corrupt."  What directory or file do I need to point the
NTLDR to, if this will even work?  Also, do I have to use
NT's Disk Administrator to assign it a drive letter instead
of using an ARC path, and point NT's boot loader to the
FreeBSD startup file via a drive letter?  (In other words,
like you have to do with Win95/98 when you dual boot with
NT.)

QUESTION 2:  If I start over, and just install NT
Workstation on the 17.3 gig, then install FreeBSD on the
17.3 gig, what happens if I install, for example, NT Server
*after* that.  In other words, if you don't choose FreeBSD
from the FreeBSD boot loader, do you get dumped into the NT
boot menu?  That's kind of what I'm hoping...  Or, would NT
Server get added to the FreeBSD boot loader menu?

Thanks, all.  You guys that answer questions routinely are
awesome.

Dave Page

davecpage@earthlink.net