Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 01:07:41 -0400
From:      Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd Netscape behavior (multiple invocation)

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 12:28:58PM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:

> I have recently (a week or 2) started seeing odd behaviour with Netscape.  I
> am running linux netscape 4.77, and when i close it down then restart
> nothing happens.  Then i check 'top' and there is another instance running.
> I kill one, and the netscape appears.  Shouldn't the wrapper be preventing
> this?

How are you closing down the first copy of Netscape?

Netscape is one of the buggiest apps around, and often seems to leave
a dead or near-dead process hanging around, or worse yet it sometimes
leaves one that is eating up CPU and memory.

Wether or not the wrapper prevents this or not depends on which
wrapper you are talking about.

I generally use Netscape from a shell script which kills current copies,
removes the ~/.netscape/lock file, and then starts Netscape. Of course,
you can be more sophisticated than that. I only do this with versions
that cause me a lot of pain.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist