Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:57:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rich Winkel <rich@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video sleep on dell d600 (6.1-release)

Sorry I've lost track of the attributions :)

> I think in the OP's case these are the same - I think (and he'll have to
> clarify) that he just wanted the screen to turn off when he closed the
> lid, right before it goes to sleep, and have the screen come on when he
> opens the lid.  Sounds like S1 is working fine for him otherwise (which
> I do believe to be true for D600's).

Correct, I just want the display to turn off when I close the lid.
Browsing the web, it appears at least one person has gotten this
working, but he didn't post the specifics.  I need to hunt up his address.

> > On my Inspiron 8200 (and the 5000e that preceded it), I have the BIOS
> > set to leave the machine running when I close the lid so that I can
> > start a "make buildworld," close the lid, put the laptop in the trunk of
> > the car, then drive to work, thus making arguably constructive use of
> > the commute time.

Doesn't this invite overheating problems?  I thought laptops dissipate a
significant amount of heat from below the keyboard ...

Rich