Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 1996 21:10:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Phil Gilley <pgilley@metronet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Secure console problem in 2.1.5

On a machine running 2.1.5-RELEASE with DES, I changed the console
mode to insecure in /etc/ttys and now root can't logon when booting
in single-user mode.  It says something like "incorrect password,
press ctrl-d to go to multiuser mode."  After bringing the system
up in multi-user mode, I can login as me then su to root just fine.
I know I'm typing the password correctly (no caps lock problem, etc)
but I can't figure out why it won't let me on.  Any ideas?

Phil Gilley
pgilley@metronet.com