Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:28:43 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Axel <axel@glemsk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update: from 7.1-STABLE to 7.2-RELEASE?

--------------enig45C0F95B8E8992A54FFE36A5

Axel wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I have previously kept my machine updated by fetching the STABLE branch=
=20
> using csup and rebuilding the kernel. (As described in Handbook chapter=
=20
> 24.7)
>=20
>  From now on, I want to use freebsd-update to simplify the process and =

> follow the RELEASE branch (+patches) instead.
>=20
> But it seems that freebsd-update cannot help me upgrade from 7.1-STABLE=
=20
> to 7.2-RELEASE.
>=20
> Any tips on how to make the transition to RELEASE?
>=20
> --------------------------------------
>=20
> uname -a
> FreeBSD <host> 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #0: Sat Jul 25 12:24:54=20
> CEST 2009
> root@<host>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>=20
> --------------------------------------
>=20
> freebsd-update -v debug -r 7.2-RELEASE upgrade
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
> Fetching public key from update5.FreeBSD.org... fetch:=20
> http://update5.FreeBSD.org/7.1-STABLE/i386/pub.ssl: Not Found
> failed.
> Fetching public key from update4.FreeBSD.org... fetch:=20
> http://update4.FreeBSD.org/7.1-STABLE/i386/pub.ssl: Not Found
> failed.
> Fetching public key from update1.FreeBSD.org... fetch:=20
> http://update1.FreeBSD.org/7.1-STABLE/i386/pub.ssl: Not Found
> failed.
> No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>=20
> --------------------------------------

Probably your best plan would be to:

   * Back up everything, but particularly all of the contents of /etc
     /usr/local/etc and /home and anywhere else you have important files
     you can't recover from original sources.

   * csup to RELENG_7_2_0_RELEASE (ie use that as the cvs tag in your sup=
=20
     file).  This will give you code base the release was generated
     from. Compile and update your system the normal way -- uname(1) shou=
ld
     identify itself as 7.2-RELEASE after this.  Replace any custom kerne=
     with GENERIC if you want to use freebsd-update for the kernel as wel=
     as the world.

   * use freebsd-update to to upgrade from 7.2-RELEASE to 7.2-RELEASE-p2 =

     according to the instructions in the man page.

Now, you'll be using a self-compiled version of FreeBSD rather than exact=
ly
what comes off the release .iso so there will be minor differences and mi=
smatched
checksums for various files.  However I think freebsd-update should be ab=
le to
cope, and will probably overwrite any non-matching files.  In case it doe=
sn't,
your next recourse would be to grab a release .iso from the FTP sites and=
 overwrite
your system with the version from the install media.  You can do this wit=
hout
completely trashing your existing setup if you take care -- particularly =
make
sure that you tell the installer *not* to newfs any partitions.  Of cours=
e,=20
make sure you've backed everything up before trying this, as it will over=
write
some of the files under /etc with the default versions.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3