Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:38:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 12 during build of -current

> I'm installing -current on a FreeBSD-3.3-stable system.  I've done the sup
> (which succeeded with no problems).  When I try the "make buildworld" I
> get "signal 12" crashes during the gcc lib build.  In specific:

I had the same problem (see my mail from 12th October).

One of the present requirements is to build, install and boot the new
kernel before doing the make world.

Please read src/UPDATING, an excellent reference for major events in
the source tree:

19990929:
	The sigset_t datatype has been changed from an integral type
	to a compound type and can hold 128 signals. Syscalls directly
	or indirectly using the new sigset_t have been added as to
	maintain compatible with existing binaries. A new kernel must
	be made and installed and booted with before a make world can
	be done.

As you start from a v3 system, the v4 kernel might not work with v3
user land.

I would suggest to grab an older v4 tree (e.g. as of September, 14th)
and to move your v3 to that older v4 first. If this succeded, grab the
latest v4 and try to jump over the sigset_t hurdle as described.

Regards,
Marc