Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 2004 03:06:13 -0800
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Latest round of bsd.*.mk changes

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 21:09, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Type: BUGFIX
> Title: Stop relying on port.mkversion
> Affects: bsd.port.mk

> and is now very obsolete.  Replace the code used to generate and
> check this file with a simple OSVERSION check.  The ports system
> now requires FreeBSD 4.3 or higher.

Hrm.  Did a change in policy go through somewhere?  I thought the
intention was to accomodate, but not guarantee in any way, older
versions of the source tree with HEAD ports.

If this is not the case, and we do have hard cutoffs now for the oldest
release that is willing to be supported, then is it reasonable to have
an 'OLDESTOSVERSION' variable, and a suitable check against the
generated OSVERSION, erroring out as soon as possible, if the OS does
not meet the required version.

There is likely to be a sizeable amount of cleanup possible to do also
if, beyond this check, OSVERSION must be >= OLDESTOSVERSION (in this
case 430000) as it must.

Exeunt a.out, stage right.  Or maybe not.

-aDe