Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:11:32 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cron+nsswitch+winbind = wierd thing

Recently I had rebooted my server after a long uptime and after reboot
cron didn't run any jobs. This is what I found in its log (time, host
and pid are stripped):
NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): winbind, group, setgrent, not found
NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): winbind, group, getgrent_r, not found
NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): winbind, group, endgrent, not found
NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): winbind, passwd, endpwent, not found

I have winbind for passwd and group in my nsswitch.conf, of course, and
everything else except for cron worked properly. E.g. I could run 'pw
showgroup -a' and it returned both local and windows groups.
After I restarted cron and it started to work normally again.

I suspect that cron couldn't find nss_winbind.so for some reason (which
is in /usr/local/lib). I thought that this might have been because cron
was started before rc.d/ldconfig ran and added /usr/local/lib, but
according to dmesg cron was started after ldconfig. So I am out of ideas
now.

--
Andriy Gapon