Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:31:59 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: username sizes character limits.

On Thursday October 30, 1997, ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net <ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net>
 had this to say about "username sizes character limits.":

[SNIP]
> First, the standard unix limit for user names is 8 characters.  Of
> course, twc-online is 10 characters.  I then learned that if one changes
> UT_NAMESIZE in /usr/include/utmp.h this limit can be overridden.  But, I
> have also been reading that this is not a good idea, due to certain
> programs having code that can only deal with the 8 character limit?

NIS is an example of a program which doesn't like > 8 character
usernames...but other than that I've been doing it for a year and a half.
You need to change /usr/src/include/utmp.h (not /usr/include/utmp.h...
this will be rebuilt by the make world process)). Set UT_NAMESIZE to 16.
In /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h, set MAXLOGNAME to 17.

You need ALL of the sources to do a proper make world ("world" is a tag in
/usr/src/Makefile which basically means "do everything from scratch").
You should have a GOOD understanding of /usr/src/Makefile before you do
anything...and your system WILL be in a state of flux as new binaries
replace old ones (you won't be able to do a ps, w, top, etc.)

It's interesting to note that under 2.2.2-RELEASE I was only able to get
15 character usernames DESPITE changing utmp.h/param.h, and in
2.2.5-RELEASE I am only able to get 14 character usernames.  I'm in the
middle of redoing my system to make sure I didn't screw something up.

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net