Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:30:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS SPS Perth <shocking@ugly.prth.tensor.pgs.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 6 Linux pre-release, got it going.

On 11 Apr 2000, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

> I was thinking about that too.  Maybe you can make a few Linux library
> ports ("linux_graphics" etc.) so people who want to do something small
> don't necessarily have to install the whole enchilada.
>
> Please talk to me about repository copies when you are ready.

I don't think we should be breaking up the current linux_base or linux_dev
ports, because those are (supposed to be) default Redhat installs so
redhat linux binaries get the environment they are expecting.

For additional packages, having monolithic RPM sets seems to me to be
bloat - why can't we set up a 1-1 mapping of RPM to package, perhaps by a
single "portal" redhat rpm port which grabs an RPM from the redhat site
(possibly choosing from a list as an option), munges it to extract the
PLIST and installs it?

I've suggested a similar "portal" port for the p5-CPAN ports in the
past: they're packaged by CPAN with all the information we need to know to
build a FreeBSD package, it's just a matter of munging the information in
the right way.

Kris

----