Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:25:59 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

--nextPart2812799.dnY1idyRim

On Sunday, 13. November 2005 13:50, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:24:02PM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:01:58 +0300
> >
> > Andrey Chernov <ache@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > > *DEBUG knob has different meaning from port to port and often not just
> > > -g adding, but turns on internal port debugging output/checks.
> > > It means that it should be turned on/off separately on per port basis.
> > > I.e. WITH_<portname>_DEBUG.
> > > WITH_<portname>_* style options also allows to add them all into
> > > /etc/make.conf without creating name conflicts between the ports.
> >
> > 	I don't think so.  There are 127ports supported DEBUG related
> > 	knobs.  Only 127ports, and there are some ports which we
> > 	request with DEBUG related knobs at the most.
> >
> > 	'WITH_DEBUG' is well known and global knob.  This is POLA
> > 	important.  If you want to turn on/off per port, you can
> > 	set following description in /etc/make.conf.  This is ungy,
> > 	sure.  But it's casual.
>
> First of all, I don't see any sense to turn debug for all 127 ports at
> once. For many years the only need I see - turn for one of them. So it
> isn't "global knob" as you say. It is local per port knob and should not
> affect other ports.

Yes, that's my main gripe with it as well. It's at least imaginable that=20
people would want to set the same dependency trigger for every port they=20
install, like WITH_ARTS (although it's just as well imaginable that they on=
ly=20
want it for one or two ports in particular, which we traditionally only=20
support very badly and ought to fix), but it's hardly imaginable that anybo=
dy=20
would want every port they install to be built with debug symbols.

> > .if ${.CURDIR} =3D=3D "/usr/ports/foo/bar"
> > WITH_DEBUG=3D	yes
> > .endif
> > .if ${.CURDIR} =3D=3D "/usr/ports/bar/foo"
> > WITH_DEBUG=3D	yes
> > .endif

So are you consciously trying to make using ports *more* complicated or hav=
e=20
you just been using make(1) for so such a long time you forgot how long it=
=20
took you to learn about using make conditionals and the .CURDIR variable? 8=
=2D)

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org