Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:28:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.ORG, rizzo@iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: usb2 + scanner HP ScanJet 4300C

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
 > On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 09:27:27PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I've got a HP ScanJet 4300C that seems to be a little bit
 > > stubborn.

 > > Is there anything I can do, except for forgetting about
 > > this scanner alltogether?
 >
 > one option is to put the device IDs in uscanner.c and see if
 > it is recognised.

Thanks for the advice, but the device IDs _are_ already in
uscanner.c.  I checked that when I was experimenting with
the old USB stack.  The probe fails much earlier, before
the uscanner code has a chance to do anything.  So the
problem isn't in uscanner.c.

 > But other than that, i wouldn't waste much time:
 > for 50..80 euro you can get one of the
 > Epson multifunction printer scanners (i have personally
 > tried DX4400 to DX7050) which are well supported and
 > extremely reliable.

I bought this ScanJet 4300 C specifically because it is
listed as supported by FreeBSD in the uscanner(4) manpage.
I'm not going to spend more money on anything else (which
wouldn't be guaranteed to work either).  Either I get this
beast to work somehow with FreeBSD, or I will have to use
a different OS to drive the scanner.

Fortunately Hans Petter's advice seems to help, although
I still have to test whether SANE will work.  (But I'm
optimistic, now that the device attaches.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"... there are two ways of constructing a software design:  One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies and
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no _obvious_
deficiencies."        -- C.A.R. Hoare, ACM Turing Award Lecture, 1980