Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 06:55:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        hitmaster2k@yahoo.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tangent for discussion: FreeBSD performs worse that Linux

In article <20011209221607.78673.qmail_web21108.mail.yahoo.com@ns.sol.net>,
	hitmaster2k@yahoo.com writes:
> hi,
> does anyone need any special skills to manage the
> kind of branch you are talking about...
> example.. RELENG_4_4_BUGFIX
>
> what kind of skills and experience in FreeBSD would
> be needed for this kind of branch....

I'm still confused about what this branch would contain; bug fixes to
4.4REL? Isn't that what -STABLE is all about?

>> I could maintain a "not-FreeBSD-sanctioned" site
>> for patches of -CURRENT and -STABLE code applyable
>> to previous releases,
>> but that would only muddy
>> the FreeBSD maintenance and distribution waters
>> that I think work well for
>> what they're intended to address, as well as open
>> myself up to all sorts
>> of support and maintenance headaches.
>
> i wouldn't mind helping.... :-)

Consider yourself "enlisted".  :-)

What sorts of skills/interests have you to offer? I'm a pretty fair C
coder, and can comfortably play with shell, awk, and sed scripts, too.
I'm already involved in a few "global" projects, so I'm not too bad at
managing/applying/supplying submissions. And guess what? I can write
man pages and other documentation, too!

I have web/ftp space available at my ISP (midwest USA), and it has some
pretty fat pipes. Some logistics and details still need to be worked out
before I/we really start anything (I hope to work them out in this thread,
if I'm not kicked out for being off-topic).

> -Hiten,

Is that pronounced with a long or short 'i'?

Dave