Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 12:48:46 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
Cc:        Arjan.deVet@nl.cis.philips.com, FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, Guido.VanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com
Subject:   Re: Apache + FreeBSD 2.0 benchmark results (fwd)

On Mon, 8 May 1995, Network Coordinator wrote:

> Question here - Isn't the CERN httpd server [in standalone mode] an
> on-demand forker?

    Yes.  So are the Apache, WN and pre-1.4 NCSA servers.  I needed a
name for servers which forked off a new process for each incoming
request, and just "forking server" was too easily confused with
"pre-forking server", so I called them "demand forking".  Dunno if
that's the correct term or not, but I'm sticking with it.  ;-)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org