Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:25:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proposal: weekly posting about FreeBSD Diary

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Walter Brameld wrote:

> I had no idea that being subscribed to this list was a requirement for
> supporting FreeBSD. ONe could conceive of the situation where a person
> helping to develop alternate support may not have the time to plow
> through 100-200 e-mails a day.
>
> Doug, do you think he should be subscribed to ALL of them, or would
> just this one be sufficient?

	Obviously your response is an attempt at a flame, which I would
usually not dignify with my attention, but since you accidentally raised a
valid point that I think is worth clarification, I will. Actually, almost
none of the FreeBSD committers read -questions on any kind of a regular
basis, so the answer to your first silly assertion is, "No, it's not
necessary to be subscribed to any mailing lists to support the FreeBSD
project." But that's not what we're talking about. Dan wants to post what
amounts to an advertisement for his commercial web site to the
freebsd-questions list. Now I understand that his site has lots of stuff
on it that may be of benefit to the freebsd community. But it's also a
commercial venture. And in _my_ mind that makes it a different ball of
wax. Maybe it doesn't to yours, and if so that's ok. Dan asked for
opinions, I gave mine.

	The answer to your second silly question is that in my mind one
should be subscribed to lists that one posts regularly to. Otherwise you
might miss important issues that rise out of or are directly relevant to
your posting(s). But then again, I'm a crochity old fart who still
remembers the good old days when people gave thought to what they wrote,
used standard formats for their e-mail, blah blah.

	Now all that being said, please don't get the impression that I
think Dan is doing anything wrong. I may or may not like what he does, I
may or may not like how he does it, but I don't think he's done anything
wrong. My one reservation was that I felt that if he's going to be posting
regularly to a public list he ought to be subscribed to it ("and reading
it" ought to have gone without saying...). Dan addressed that issue, so my
objection is withdrawn. Assuming that Dan was sincere in his request for
feedback, I don't see a problem with me providing some. If you do, tough
bananas.

	Further attempts to draw this discussion into the absurd will be
ignored.

Have a nice day,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"