Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 22:43:22 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.0 now in code freeze.

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

To: committers@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 22:43:22 -0800
From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>

Dear committers,

As previously scheduled, we are now in code freeze on the -current
(HEAD) source tree. The ports and doc trees are unaffected by this
announcement, as it is up to Satoshi and Nik to decide when and if
to declare their own freeze dates.

The code freeze will last for a full 30 days, during which time NO
commits may be made to the -current src branch without my express
approval.  The one exception to this rule is documentation - changes
to manual pages and other associated docs may be made during the code
freeze without advance approval if those changes are also immediately
pertinent to FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.

This special dispensation for docs should also not be taken as blanket
permission to make wholesale changes to the doc building
infrastructure or go on reformatting rampages.  It is expected that
you will all use your discretion during the code freeze and not use
this as an excuse to do large-scale work which should really have
occurred well before now.

While a 30 day freeze is also somewhat longer than most we've done in
the past, I think that we still have quite a bit of "rock polishing"
to do on the -current branch before it's really ready to go out as a
full release and we're certainly never going to get to that stage if
people keep breaking -current left and right.  As of now, that mad
rush to get features into 4.0 has ended and it's just critical bug
fixes and cosmetic work (of a low-risk nature only) until the
release date of March 1st.

To get a change approved by me, simply email me the diffs and a short
description of what you're trying to fix.  If it's an intrusive or
risky change, I'm also going to ask you to give me a list of the
upsides and downsides you can calculate for the change going in vs not
going in, and providing this in your first message will save us both
an extra exchange of email.  As with all previous code freezes, I'm
also far more likely to decide in favor of a change if it arrives at
the beginning rather than the end of code freeze given that testing
time is obviously a factor in my risk-assessment.  Remember that, all
you procrastinators out there. :-)

Depending on the change, I may also insist on seeing a full
buildworld, on both the Alpha and x86 platforms, with my own eyes
before granting approval and I expect to be keeping a number of
test/build boxes working overtime during this period for the purpose.
I want -current to be buildable on a far more reliable basis than it
has been lately so that people can actually update and test the bits
at regular intervals during the freeze.

The reason I don't just branch 4.0 off the mainline, an obvious
alternative, is that it would result in all the post-4.0-release
feedback generating immediate merge work for the project.  The
4.0-stable branch will be created sometime before the release of 4.1,
depending on the rate and type of feedback we get from this upcoming
release.

We have 30 days to make sure that feedback is predominantly positive,
so enough said by me and let's get to it! :)

- Jordan

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org