Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:02:41 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: tool to automate common operations with patchfiles

Trevor Johnson wrote:

> > > I adapted a similar utility, written by Marc Espie for OpenBSD, as
> > > ports/Tools/scripts/update-patches.  It is slightly broken, mostly because
> > > I tried to make it work without a target in bsd.port.mk.  I think PW is
> > > willing to add such a target, but has been too busy.  Christian Weisgerber
> > > sent in a patch for update-patches, which I'll apply soon.  I don't see
> > > why we can't have two such utilities.
> >
> > IMHO my utility is much more functional. Please compare features side-by-side
> > and you will see why I want to add it to the toolbox. After all, what you can
> > expect from the shell script, which update-patches essentially is, both in
> > terms of functionality and extensibility? ;).
>
> [...]
> I haven't tried your utility, but from your description, it sounds as though
> each has some features the other lacks.
> [...]

Sounds like when someone rejects a patch or comments on it w/o even taking a look.
Please at least try it before commenting.

-Maxim
P.S. Please compare the following:

root@vic# cd /usr/ports/archivers/bzip2/
root@vic# make patch
===>  Extracting for bzip2-1.0.1
>> Checksum OK for bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for bzip2-1.0.1
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for bzip2-1.0.1
root@vic# /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/update-patches
Processing bzip2-1.0.1/Makefile
No patch-* found for bzip2-1.0.1/Makefile, creating patch-bzip2-1_0_1_Makefile
*** Patch patch-aa not accounted for.
patch-bzip2-1_0_1_Makefile
root@vic# ls files/
patch-aa                    patch-bzip2-1_0_1_Makefile

vs:

root@vic# cd /usr/ports/archivers/bzip2/
root@vic# make patch
===>  Extracting for bzip2-1.0.1
>> Checksum OK for bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for bzip2-1.0.1
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for bzip2-1.0.1
root@vic# ~/patchtool -u
Updating patchfile: patch-aa
root@vic# ls files/
patch-aa