Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:56:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@atlasta.net>
To:        Joshua Lewis <jmlewis@dslextreme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realteck ALC650

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Joshua Lewis wrote:

> I am looking to setup my built in Sound card on my Abit AT7-MAX
> motherboard. The board supports six channels via a Realteck AL650.
> However, I do not know what driver to use. The sound card was not listed
> in the hardware notes located on the home page of FreeBSD.org. My gut
> tells me this is not a complete list. If someone knows, what driver to use
> that would be grand?

First, what version of FreeBSD are you using?

Newer versions allow you to kldload the drivers, without rebooting and
without building a new kernel...older versions require you to build a new
kernel and reboot.

If I recall, all 4.x versions will require a kernel recompile, 5.x doesnt.

If supported, simply execute as root:

kldload snd_driver

And this will load /all/ supported drivers for all cards.  It's likely
that one of these will work. :)

You can add the following to /boot/loader.conf to do this at boot time:

snd_driver_load=YES

Or, follow the directions in man pcm:

     For a card with bridge driver support, and a PnP card:
     device pcm

So, add
device pcm

to your kernel config file.  After building and booting the new kernel
(see the Handbook for how to do this):
  cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0
to create the devices.

...david