Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:31:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      freebsd-questions@juicer.orange-carb.org (Colin Henein)
To:        drwilco@drwilco.net, julian@elischer.org, jfleming@anet.com, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solution: pppoe hangs, not tcpmssfix

Greetings all.

Just a short note to thank you all for your replies. In the end Doc's
suggestion of lowering the MTU past 1492 (the negotiated setting
between my host and my upstream pppoe endpoint) worked like a charm.

Setting it down to 1200 did the trick... but only once I carefully
read the man page for 'ppp' and realised I had to:
  set max mtu 1200
  set max mru 1200
Without the 'max' ifconfig reported 1492 mtu, as the upstream pppoe
host negotiated up the setting.

Immediately after doing this a flood of hung SMTP connections came in,
and my outbound HTTP connections started working.

This has been bugging me for a year. I don't know why 1492 wasn't an
appropriate MTU, I can only assume that some link upstream of me is
less than that but bigger than 1200, and they aren't doing the
equivalent of tcpmssfixup on their equipment.

Thanks again for all your suggestions...
Colin

ps. I'm cc-ing this to freebsd-questions in case people over there are
still scratching their heads on this one.

--
             || when we're little kids maybe we need stories
Colin Henein || to help us go to sleep. but sooner or later we