Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:54:41 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: opera

Am 26.10.2010 13:04, schrieb ajtiM:
> Hi!
>
> I am an Opera user but usually I installed it by myself because version in
> ports for native Opera are old. For example there are version 10.61 and
> outside is 10.63 and outisde is develpment version 10.70 which has a saved
> problem with fonts but port version is 10.20?? (there is also alpha version 11
> of Opera which works much better than 10.61 which we have in ports).
>
> My question is: does FreeBSD doesn't "like" Opera to much? In this case is
> better to live choice to Opera users that installed the browser when and where
> they wanted and quit porting it.

Questions as to the maintenance status of individual ports should be taken up
with the respective maintainer - you can always figure that out with "make
maintainer" in the ports's directory, and currently that is
freebsd-maintainer@opera.com for both www/opera and www/opera-devel.

If there are issues that the maintainer does not respond for extended amounts of
time, we can either reset the maintainer, hand the project to a new maintainer,
or commit non-maintainer updates.

Alternatively, you could try to enable Linux emulation (see the FreeBSD handbook
for details), and then use www/linux-opera, currently at release 10.63.
However, given it's based on the Fedora 10 Linux distribution which is no longer
maintained upstream and ships a vulnerable pango library according to VuXML,
this bears a share of problems of its own, from installation (overriding
vulnerability checks) to run-time use.

--
Matthias Andree