Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:55:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        chrish@alpha.techspecs.com
Subject:   Re: Problem compiling Spice3f4 for FreeBSD.

As Ollivier Robert wrote:

> It seems that Chris Haidinyak said:
> > trap 'rm -f ${TMP_LEADER} ${TMP_TRAILER}; exit 1' 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14
> > 15
>
> Throw this line out. It should work without it. Don't ask me exactly why it
> will  work but I see a  friend a mine with  the same problem and taking the
> "trap" line out solved the problem.

[Cc'ed to -ports again, just FYI]

Ah!  I know why it doesn't work!

Somebody attempts to catch SIGKILL.  This is an error in the first
place, and the signal handling facilities do report it:

SIGACTION(2)               UNIX Programmer's Manual               SIGACTION(2)

NAME
     sigaction - software signal facilities

ERRORS
     Sigaction() will fail and no new signal handler will be installed if one
     of the following occurs:

     [EINVAL]      An attempt is made to ignore or supply a handler for
                   SIGKILL or SIGSTOP.

So perhaps other shells are broken enough to ignore this error, while
our one isn't.

Btw., it's interesting that the trap on SIGBUS, but not on SIGSEGV.
Doesn't sound to be too rational, either.

--
cheers, J"org