Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:19:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, amarat@ksu.ru
Subject:   Re: a very strange netstat output and problem when using transparent proxy

Marat N.Afanasyev wrote:
 > bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

Ok, I also have a machine with bge(4) NIC within reach.
I've had a look at it for similar symptoms (see below).

 > bge0   1500 <Link#1>      00:50:45:5f:4f:78  2341018   799  3062828
 > 0     0

799 is not good, but I wouldn't call it "huge amount of
ierrs".  Is that a typical number, or was that output
taken before the problem (network freeze) appears?

 > % uptime
 >   7:34PM  up 40 mins, 3 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.16, 0.08

Ok, 799 ierrs after 40 minuted uptime is definitely not
good.  :-)

 > Real IP address. I've already switched forward off and make squid listen
 > on 80 instead. Problem persists.

OK, so it's a NIC problem, not IPFW-related.

Here's output from my machine with bge(4) NIC:

Name  Mtu Network   Address         Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
bge0 1500 <Link#1>  00:16:35:...  7808595    35  3451475     0     0

Uptime is 8 days, the machine is only moderately loaded,
but gets quite some amount of NFS traffic (as a client).
OS is FreeBSD 6.2-PRELELEASE as of October 19th.

Whie 35 ierrs in 8 days isn't much, I think it still
indicates a problem somewhere.  It should really be 0.
(I haven't experienced any freezes or other problems,
though.)

Maybe you should ask on the -stable mailing list for
others with bge(4) NICs to check.  It looks like a bug
in the driver.

Oh by the way, do you have polling enabled?  Try to
switch in on (if disabled) or off (if enabled) and check
whether it improves the situation for you.

Best regards
   Oliver

"File names are infinite in length, where infinity is set to 255 characters."
        -- Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"