Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:03:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        boshea@ricochet.net
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>, james@targetnet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Journaling Filesystem ?

<<On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 17:31:24 -0700, "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net> said:

> I didn't even know that background fsck was supported at all.  I
> remember hearing Kirk talk about it as a future feature at FreeBSD CON
> last year, but I havn't heard anything about it since.  How do you
> use it?

It is not quite there yet.  It requires the snapshot code, which just
recently made its way into the tree, and some new system calls to
inform the filesystem that block X is actually free.

However, this doesn't change the fact that fsck is not required in
order to ensure correct operation after a crash.  Depending on your
access patterns, the block and inode leakage may be small enough to
not matter.

-GAWollman