Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:57:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nick.hibma@jrc.it
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

[ ... Redirected to -chat ... ]

>     > Discussions of highly technical issues require *precise* language.
>     > This is why all highly technical fields develop their own jargon.
>
> Highly technical, as in: ilk, bigotry, premise? :-) Nope, that was an
> excursion into the land of poetry and was definitely not within the
> jargon of the topic being discussed.

"Premise" has specific connotations in formal logic.

I would have a hard time finding a word adequate to replace "bigotry"
or "bigot", and the bias on group membership/non-membership it was
intended to imply.

The use of the word "ilk" is much less formal, but I'm not the one
who used that particular word.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---