Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 23:07:08 -0600
From:      Bob Angell <aimsllc@ibm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FTP installation using an ISP

I have literally tried *ALL* day long to get the distribution
to install off of the Internet.  Here is (are) the procedure(s)
that I have followed:

	Selected FTP distribution site:
	ftp.freebsd.org (this works when I go to this site from
			another box hooked to the Internet).

	[note:  I also put the URL in for ftp.cdrom.com and it
		did not work.]

	Select ppp0 interface on COM1

	Host:		mybox.mydomain.com
	Domain:		mydomain.com
	Gateway:	IP Address of my ISP's nameserver
	NameServer:	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (internal nameserver)
			(I also used the ISP's nameserver here
			as well)
	PPP IP Address:	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP local address)
	Netmask:	255.255.255.0
	Extra Options:	left it blank.

	Enter 115200 as the Baud rate for the modem.

	IP Address of Service Provider: (same as NameServer above)

	I then do an ALT-F3 to start the PPP connection with my
	ISP manually.  I put term in and issue all the commands
	and I establish a dynamic PPP session with my ISP.  At this
	point I have tried to do a ~p and go back to packet mode
	or just leave it when I do an ALT-F1 to return to the install
	routine.  It then says it cannot find ftp.freebsd.org or
	even the IP URL.

I am at a loss to figure out (yeah, even read the informative
debugging statements) why I cannot get it to negotiate an FTP
session.  Also, I am not sure how to subsribe to this list ...
as I will try the 'ol subscribe routine ... if this does not
work, would some kind soul who has knowledge of this working
send me a few hints via email?!  Thanks to one and all.

-Bob-
--
   Bob Angell, Principal - Sys. Engineer/Author/Consultant
   Applied Info & Mgnt Sys, 1238 Fenway Ave., SLC, UT 84102