Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/18960 - Add USE_APACHE to bsd.port.mk for Apache module ports

The following reply was made to PR ports/18960; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 20:53:11 -0400

 On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 08:50:03AM -0700, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:

 >  I'm not sure if it can be used as a precious variable, as AP_PORT can also
 >  be used on the make command line to specify which apache13* port to build
 >  the module for.  AP_PORT needs to be overriden when ${APXS} exist on the
 >  system, as a patched ${APXS} will know which apache13* port is installed.

 Hmm...

 Ugh.  Conditional over-riding of a commandline variable.

 I hope you know what you're doing...  Commandline variables are
 entered into the environment.  That is how they are passed to
 successive invocations of make(1).  A commandline variable
 (generally?) can't be overridden from within make.  However, an
 environment variable can be overridden from within make.  When
 bsd.port.mk calls itself recursively, the AP_PORT variable will be
 over-rideable.  When it is on the non-recursive call, AP_PORT will not
 be over-rideable.

 I can't entirely remember why the softMAKEFLAGS use '+=' instead of
 '=', but I think this was one of the reasons I did it that way.  And
 then there was some reason they needed to be normal rather than
 environment variables.  I blame Satoshi Asami for not forcing me to write
 comments surrounding that stuff.  ;-)

 Anyways, other than the potential problems with overriding a
 commandline variable, I don't think there's any reason that such a
 variable can't also be a precious make variable.  Just change the line

 AP_PORT!= ...

 _AP_PORT!= ...

 and make _AP_PORT the precious variable.  Then conditionally set
 AP_PORT to _AP_PORT.

 I can look more closely at how to do that later if the patch is
 approved in concept (and if overriding a commandline variable is
 really what you want to do).

 >  > How is PKGBASE different from ${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${PORTNAME}${PKGNAMESUFFIX}?
 >  >
 >  > I have a feeling it isn't different.  :-)
 >
 >  According to bsd.port.mk:

 The correct answer was "No, there is no difference."  :-)

 Just to make sure, I'm running a quick check-pkg_base-equals-portname:
 target on all the ports right now, but I expect no surprises.

 --
 Signature withheld by request of author.