Date:      25 Nov 1999 11:35:54 -0500
From:      Edward Kovarski <edwardk@digitalized.com>
To:        "Damon M. Conway" <damon@chiba.3jane.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

I would have agreed with your comments a few years ago when I shared
the same sentiment about xemacs.

Unfortunately back then I didn't know any better. :)

Annoyance was not the correct word when I first fired it up. It was
more like an aptitude test for anger management class. It didn't help
that my keys were not properly mapped either.

To make a long story short, I didn't take to XEmacs at the time and
Gnus was even more a mystery with many single key commands. I simply
did not bother to put the time and effort into learning it, as I have
done before for vi or anything else for that matter.

Fast forward a few years and now I live within XEmacs. I read my mail,
browse usenet, search the ldap servers, send/receive instant messages
via AIM (tnt), fire up the coffee machine and most importantly edit files.

Emacs is not an editor per-se. It is a scalable working environment and
all that power comes at a price, a gradual learning curve.

If you simply want to edit small rc files then even vim is "big, slow
[and an] overkill". The topic however was a Programmers' Editor which
XEmacs suits very well.

Besides, a plain vanilla gvim doesn't really tip the scales on the light
side either. On my box xemacs loads in at just about 6.5mb vs 4.5mb for
gvim. The standard bundled vi loads in at about 1mb. [Note: This xemacs
is compiled with all the graphic, sound and ldap libs.]

Speaking of overkill. I would still recommend that most users start out
with the bundled vi editor. It doesn't offer any of the extensions that
VIM has but at least it will give you a base of knowledge that applies
to other platforms. Starting with vim will make you more reliant on its
specific features, just as x/emacs does, which are then useless on any
boxes with don't have it installed.

All in all, there is no wrong choice as each edits files correctly. They
just differ in their approach and functionality. Choose whatever is most
appropriate to your working needs and programming languages.

/e