Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 21:52:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: panic : cannot mount root

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, MALCOLM BOFF wrote:

> Thanks Doug, this particular email should not have been resent but my
> Compuserve eMail suddenly decided to ignore deleted items and put
> back into my outgoing mail a whole heap of stuff that it then
> re-transmitted.

How useful.

> I managed within a couple of hours to get back in with the previous kernel
> so I could have a look at what I had buttoned out in the kernel config.
> Argh! I had commented out 'ahc0' the SCSI controller, I put this back in
> re-configured and all was well.

:-)  This is why `make install' copies the current kernel to kernel.old,
so if you make a mistake you can always boot the old kernel.

> Briefly (and you will probably not remember this judging by the amount of
> time you spend helping the community) you responded several months
> ago on a problem trying to get X-Windows configured such that I could get
> a stable screen. I last week re-visited 'www.xfree86.org' and found that
> there is now a new Generic list (with signal timings and VESA entries)
> within 1/2hr I managed to get everything working with 3 resolutions and
> full
> colour, a bit of tweaking with 'xvidtune' and everything up and running.

Cool.  I usually use `xf86config' to get working modelines (XF86Setup is
pretty brain-dead it appears) and tune from there.  I just bashed a
Millenium II in my professor's computer to do 1152x864 (whatever) using
xf86config; the lines he got originally from XF86Setup didn't work beyond
1024x768.

> I add this for the benefit of anyone who is having a problem as I had as it
> is well worth a visit there as things have improved dramatically since my
> earlier visits.

I'll check it out; the XFree86 site was always pretty bare-bones,
hopefully they've added some much-needed info.