Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:43:47 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP header question

First of all, sorry for being off topic here, but I know there are many
people in this list that know the network stack inside and out.

I have (hopefully) a couple very easy questions:

When the term 'header stripping' is used as a packet is passed up the
stack, what really happens? I don't understand how if a layers header is
'stripped off' as it goes up, it will know where to be sent to as it
goes back down.

Does 'stripping' mean simply reading it on the way up (but not discarding)?

If so, when does the src/dst info for layer-3 and layer-2 get reversed,
on the way up, or the way back down?

If not, how does each layer know what destination information to insert
into the headers for the trip back to the source?

Thanks very much for any insight.

Steve