Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:23:10 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell D600 odds-n-ends

Tobias Roth wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 04:31:33PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
>>Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> writes:
>>
>>>Hibernate mode?
>>
>>Should work in theory if you have a hibernate partition.  I blew mine
>>away on install (if I ever had one - Windows doesn't need it, so it's
>>quite possible that it wasn't set up to begin with)
>

> or a hibernation file on the first fat16 or fat 32 slice. if you want to
> keep windows for the occasional firmware upgrade, you may want to convert
> the windwos filesystem from ntfs to fat32 and then put a hibernation file
> on there.

Does FreeBSD know to look there for the hibernation file, or is that a
BIOS thing?  Also - do I use a Dell tool to create the hibernation file?

I don't have Windows on my laptop - just FreeBSD, so if there is a way
to do this without loading windows on it, I'd be much happier. Although
I don't mind having a fat16 or fat32 partition around for this purpose..

Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.