Date:      Thu, 4 May 2017 01:25:24 +0000
From:      derek thomas <derekmthomas@outlook.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Frank Steinborn <steinex@nognu.de>, Frank Steinborn <steinex@nognu.de>
Subject:   Re: Man Page BSD-ism And Terminal Width

> On May 3, 2017, at 18:49, Frank Steinborn <steinex@nognu.de> wrote:
>=20
> derek thomas <derekmthomas@outlook.com> wrote:
>> Not all man pages on my system fit the width of my terminal. The MANWIDT=
H variable as described in man(1) should be the solution, but I've discover=
ed that many if not all man page sources in base at least don't seem to res=
pect the  variable.  As though width was hard-coded.   Other sources do res=
pect it, such as /usr/share/man/man1/nroff.1.gz, and notably others in port=
s. So I suppose there is some FreeBSD-ism going on in the source format.
>>=20
>> I ruled out my processing pipeline.
>> nroff -man [sourcefile] demonstrates the same differences in files.
>>=20
>> Should I dig further for a proper man-macro code fix? Or am I overlookin=
g something?  Is this expected behaviour?
>>=20
>> Thanks
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> can you give an example of a manpage in base that does not respect
> MANWIDTH? I just tried a few that came into my mind and all worked with
> MANWIDTH=3Dtty.
>=20
> Best regards,
> Frank

# No MANPATH-sensitive pages:
$ for f in $(basename /bin/*); do read; MANPATH=3D42; man $f; done=20

# ...Some here though:
for f in $(find /usr/src/contrib -name '*.[1-8]'; do printf "Try %s or CTRL=
-C:" $f; read; MANPATH=3D42; man $f; done

Thanks,

-Derek=