Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:49:36 -0700
From:      Jon Kuster <kwsn@earthlink.net>
To:        Morten Rodal <morten@rodal.no>
Cc:        threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for thread testers: XMMS

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 02:27, Morten Rodal wrote:
> I have tried to run xmms with libkse on both a SMP (Dual P2 300MHz)
> and on my laptop (P4 1.7GHz).   Unfortunately I must report that the
> results are better with libc_r.
>
> When xmms starts to play any type of sound I can hear spikes and other
> distortions in the sound.  This happens regardless of the load of the
> machine, and it does not help to increase the buffer size.  However,
> after a while the spikes get less frequent.
>
> I will try libthr when I get home later today and see if it works
> better than libkse.

I have the same experience.  When I use libkse, I get distortions.
They're hard to describe, but sort of like the digital equivalent of
dragging a needle across a record.  I can provide a short clip if
anyone's interested.  libthr fares a little better, but I get a bunch of
clicks instead, which is at least less jarring.  libc_r still works the
best for xmms.  This is on my XP2100+, SCHED_4BSD, and using libmap to
change threading libs.