Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:40:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Michael Pinnella" <deneb@walkingwizard.com>
To:        dmehler@davemehler.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: postfix and squirrelmail

Hey Dave,
I'm not sure if anyone answered your question. Squirrelmail is /Maildir
based, and it would be a good idea to install an IMAP program as well. My
setup is Postfix, Procmail (for Spamassassian), Spamassassian,
Courier-IMAP, and squirrelmail.

Most of the install went ok, but it had it's struggles. I used a book
(Absolute BSD) to install Postfix. (I'll add some links at the bottom that
I found helpful). The book left a few things out, but they weren't that
difficult to fix (it was an otherwise awesome book). Make sure you change
the cf file in postfix to use /Maildir if you are going to use
squirrelmail.

If you're not going to use Spamassassian, you probably don't need
procmail. (I'm not 100% sure). But here's the problem I had. I compliled
Courier-IMAP to use SSL which in turn became a nightmare for Squirrelmail.
I spent many, many hours trying to get Squirrelmail going to no avail. A
few days ago (After leaving it alone for almost 2 mos) I revisited
Squirrelmail. What I finally discovered is that it hates TLS. I even got
to the point where I had IMAP-SSL running on port 993 and IMAP running on
port 143 (which I block outside the firewall), but I just couldn't get
IMAP (non-SSL) working with ANY mail client. Finally in the IMAP-SSL
configuration file I changed IMAP_TLS_REQUIRED=1 to IMAP_TLS_REQUIRED=0. A
very frustrating and baffling problem was finally fixed and now
Squirrelmail works.

##NAME: IMAP_TLS_REQUIRED:1
#
# Set IMAP_TLS_REQUIRED to 1 if you REQUIRE STARTTLS for everyone. # (this
option advertises the LOGINDISABLED IMAP capability, until STARTTLS
# is issued).

IMAP_TLS_REQUIRED=0

Helpful links:
This one is what I used to finally get courier-imap (with SSL going).
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200308/courier-imap.html

I don't know how much this will help on postfix, but I used it a little bit.
http://www.postfix.org/faq.html

Good Luck. Like you, I found the documentation sparse. Much of what I did
was trial and error, so my own documentation is from memory. Let me know
how it turns out!

Mike