Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:23:37 -0500
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Streamlining FreeBSD installations across many machines

Perhaps this would be of interest in CURRENT issues:

We have several servers that we plan on deploying across the US.  Their
purpose in life is network status and monitoring.   The hardware profiles
are exactly the same...

Currently, we're using DD to mirror a disk image onto a new installation,
and them nanually tweaking all the necessary configurations.   It's
tedious, and is going to get hellish with the amount we plan on deploying.

I'm wondering if there might not be a way to streamline this install
process, such that a boot floopy and script could be created to take a
minimum amount of information, and then "do the right thing" as for the
install.   Things like putting in the packet filters, the kernel, IP
config, etc.

Surely someone has done this before...?

Thanks!