Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:29:48 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup and Verify

Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com> types:
> This box is actually a web server, and the only files that change is when
> our web developer uploads files to the box, and email coming in.  Don't
> care so much about the email as much as I do the configuration
> files.  Same goes for the web server.  Don't care much about the content
> as much as I do about the config files because my web developer has a copy
> of the entire site on her PC at work, and at home.

That's a *radically* different problem. I've solved it a number of
times.

> As far as the verify, maybe I am thinking compare....  It would be nice if
> I could have a Bootable CD, though that one could put in the CD drive, the
> CD boot and it will ask to put the last backup in the tape drive, and it
> will restore the last backup.  It needs to be as user friendly as possible
> because I am the only person in this company capable of operating this
> box, and if for some reason I leave (quit more likely than getting hit by
> a Mac truck) the average ordinary layman will need to be able to restore
> everything by following a checklist of procedures.  I don't think that
> they will be able to do a fresh install of FreeBSD, however, and restore
> over the top.  These are bank tellers we are talking about.

In that case, you need a custom CD that boots and installs FreeBSD for
them. You really only need to recreate it whenever you change the
configuration files.

For that matter, why not put the web docs on /var, and put / on a
CDROM? When you go, copy an ISO image of the thing over to a Windows
box and provide instructions for burning a new one. Provide a script
that formats that builds /var on the C drive on it, and you're done.

	<mike