Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:15:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Urgent

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Gustavo Vieira G C Rios wrote:

> Does anybody here where can i see the reports about Microsoft download
> record and walnutCreek one?
> Mircosoft were using 40 servers and WC only one single system.

Is this what you are talking about?

######## Begin Article #########
Walnut Creek CDROM runs the largest public
FTP archive, and every month, more than three
million individual users download the latest
computer software ranging from games to
complete operating systems from Walnut Creek
CDROM's FTP site. Walnut Creek CDROM set
the record of transferring 417 gigabytes of files
in one day, surpassing Microsoft Corporation's
record of transferring approximately 350
gigabytes of files per day during the Windows95
release. Microsoft used more than 40 server
machines to achieve the previous record, while
Walnut Creek CDROM used a single 200MHz
Intel Pentium Pro processor running FreeBSD.
######### End Article #########

Now, if I could only recall where I got it.....

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering