Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:22:11 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        VeeJay <maanjee@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help... Installing from Port

Frank Staals wrote:

> VeeJay wrote:
>
>> If I will install Apache2 from the Port, how can I configure to add
>> module
>> or disable modules?
>

>> If we can configure in Port, so where it could be done and how? and
>> if its
>> in a file, where it would be placed?
>>

> go to the apache2 dir in your portstree ( generally
> /usr/ports/www/apache2/ ) run 'make config' to set options, if the
> specific options aren't there: copy the Makefile to Makefile.orig and
> add the '--enable-OPTION'  and '--disable-OPTION' with the other
> compile options.

For apache22 "make show-options" gives you instructions.  It is highly
unlikely you would need to do anything to the Makefile.  You can place
the configuration options in /etc/make.conf, or in
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf if you use portupgrade, exactly as any
other port.

For example, I use the following in pkgtools.conf in the MAKE_ARGS section:
        'apache-2*' => [
                'WITHOUT_IPV6=1',
                'WITH_AUTH_MODULES=1',
                'WITH_LDAP_MODULES=1',
                'WITH_MISC_MODULES=1',
                'WITH_PROXY_MODULES=1',
                'WITH_THREADS_MODULES=1',
                'WITH_SUEXEC_MODULES=1',
                'WITH_DBM=bdb',
                'WITH_BERKELEYDB=FreeBSD',
            ],

> Not sure though: but aren't a lot of those options also settable in
> the apache config file ? it might be a better idea to check that out
> first, so if you ever change your mind about a setting you don't have
> to recompile your intire apache2 port.

AFAIK, You can use the apache config file to leave out a module which
you have compiled, but you can't make use of a module which you haven't
compiled.

--Alex

PS Simply reading /usr/ports/apache22/Makefile would have answered your
question about how to set which modules to use.