Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 11:49:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, Yves.holzgen@mba.be
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD versus LINUX

On Wed, 29 April 1998 at 23:40:10 -0500, Frank Pawlak wrote:
> On 29 Apr, John Kelly wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 19:10:58 +0200, "Yves Holzgen"
>> <yves.holzgen@mba.be> wrote:
>>
>>> We already use LINUX system. What are the main difference between Linux and
>>> freeBSD ?

> Linux is a very young clone of SYSV UNIX.  It is not really an
> operating system, just a kernel.  The libs and other components that
> make up an operating system come from many developers with out a central
> centrol mechanism to ensure the quality of the release.  It just the
> kernel that is controlled by one person.

I don't know if I like making this distinction.  Lots of the FreeBSD
supporting software is not under the direct control of the core team
either (in fact, it's the same software used by Linux).  And the term
"not an operating system" is misleading.  Many people, including
myself, consider the kernel to be the operating system, and the rest
just to be support.

Having said that, it is correct that you can't just go out and get
"the latest version of Linux".  You have a choice of a large number of
different packagings.

Greg