Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:14:29 +0000
From:      "Frank Shute" <frank@esperance-linux.co.uk>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the value of a journal filesystem?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:25:11AM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:

> [filesystem corruption at sources.redhat.com]
>
> I'm not sure if this is a ext2fs, ext3fs, or reiserfs, but
> the 2nd paragraph is somewhat ominious.  The notice does
> statement whether the damaged filesystems are on other
> disks or on disks in other machines (ie. nfs mounted).

Red Hat has shipped with ext3 since about RH7, so my money would be on
that.

I used it some years ago and it seemed to be pretty robust although
rather slow. I can't remember reading about corruption issues (I stand
to be corrected though).

Difficult to speculate as to what happened. I hope they do an analysis
of some sort and publish.

Red Hat customers will want to know under what circumstances an
"enterprise OS" seemingly failed and then took so long to come back
up. Not that I'm a customer or likely to be but a bit of transparency
from a vendor is a good thing.

--

 Frank

print "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'