Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:53:11 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Samuel Chow <cyschow@shaw.ca>
Cc:        "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low impact, high value training?  (wish me luck!!)

Samuel Chow wrote:
>     Unfortunately, employers do not look at it this way.
>     Everytime I read the career section of the local
>     newspapers, they all want some certifications such as
>     MSCE for jobs like network administrators.  As a FreeBSD
>     user, I will never want to have these certifications,
>     but it also means that I will never get those type of
>     jobs.  Bummer.

Well, I've found that while they put "MCSE or BS in blabl required", when it
comes down to it, they'll hire a talented individual without the degree or
papers.  Including my current position, the past 3 places I have worked have
asked for BS in CS, and/or certifications, all of which I do not have.  I ignore
the requests for those, and usually they do too (unless it's a bank or
government organization - they are sometimes a little more picky).

Eric