Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 97 03:20:09 -0700
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Matthew M Groener" <matt@xlrn.ucsb.edu>, "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: out of mbuf crash

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Matthew M Groener wrote:

>I have a consistent crash in 2.2.2 on Thursdays with the following last
>message in /var/log/messages:
. . .
>Sep  4 04:07:50 serf /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!
>Oct  9 05:29:09 serf /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!
>
>I have checked that nothing unusual begins anywhere near this time in
>cron (users or root), and yet it's nearly consistent.
>
>I have increased maxusers in the kernel to 128 without success.

	Ok, so increase it higher. :)  You should also look at the
nmbclusters kernel option.  I've raised it to 15000 on a 2.2.1 system.
When you are at peak usage (as far as connections to the outside world
go) do a netstat -m and look at the first line and the 6th.

1383 mbufs in use:
        649 mbufs allocated to data
        725 mbufs allocated to packet headers
        8 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
        1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
62/3574 mbuf clusters in use

	The number after the / in the 6th line will tell you
(basically) the highest number of mbuf's ever requested (although I've
seen higher numbers in use than the max on the 6th).  You want the
number of mbuf's available to be 50% greater than the max requested.

Hope this helps,

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)