Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2014 17:48:18 -0500
From:      Dutch Ingraham <stoa@gmx.us>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon troubles

On 11/29/14 16:08, John F. Carr wrote:

> A Radeon HD 5450 (now installed) and an older Radeon behave the same.
> Both are PCIe cards.  The kernel says "[drm] RADEON_IS_PCIE" if I start X.
>
> There are two problems:
>
> 1. When X exits the screen never switches back to console mode.
> It freezes with the image on the X server when it exits.  The text
> console is running behind the frozen graphics.  I can login blind as
> root and reboot.  I can rerun xinit and see my compressed windows
> again.  But I can't see the console.  (I don't use graphical login.
> I log in on the console and run xinit.)
>
> 2. On a PA272W 2560x1440 monitor the image is horizontally compressed
> into the middle half of the screen.  The image is mangled as I would
> if half of the pixels were dropped.  I think it is trying to display
> 2560 pixels but setting up some mode parameters wrong.  On a lower
> resolution monitor the image is fine, but see item 1.

John - I'm not sure this will help (because I'm not sure which list
archive you are referring to), but this thread[1] goes through most of
the issues to check-off for this issue and the 5450 card.

[1]
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=178836+182611+/usr/local/www/db/text/2014/freebsd-x11/20141116.freebsd-x11