Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:10:44 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        Essenz Consulting <john@essenz.com>, Andriy Korud <akorud@polynet.lviv.ua>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLINK-DFE570TX

Doug Ambrisko wrote:

> Essenz Consulting writes:
> | Andriy,
> |
> | The card should work fine under FreeBSD 4.0 since is based on the DEC
> | 21143 chip. I havent heard any "fail" stories..... but...
> |
> | The card retails for under $250, you can probably pick it up for under
> | $200 if you found a good deal. Im used to working with Quad cards that
> | cost well over $500. How good can a $200 Quad card be? This D-LINK card is
> | cheaper than intels Dual port NIC...  So I wouldn't be suprised if over
> | time these cards turn out to be a litle shotty.
>
> I have success > 16 cards in different machines.  Yes we used to pay the
> $500 for Adaptec quad cards or the Zynz.  Now we use the D-Link since
> they fit in the 1U cases that we have (the Adaptec and others tend
> to be full length PCI ... atleast the Dec based ones were).  I always
> thought $500 was to much and $300 for the Intel was also to much.
> Since I could buy Dec based cards for $30 dollars.  $30 x 4 = $120 add
> some for the bridge and minus the stuff needed for 4 separate cards and
> $200 or whatever sounds like what it should be to me.  BTW I bought my
> first one via onsale for $152.  Note that www.shopper.com shows some
> listed for $147.99.  So I'd try to get them for $150.

I've got also some tens of them, (not all under FreeBSD), and they just
work (I've got for example a batch of 16 NICs exchanging traffic 24x7
for a test bench)

they may not be the fastest boards on earth, but they're a pretty good
deal (and it's the only option for 1U or 2U rack-mount machines) !

	TfH

--
Thierry Herbelot                        ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN   /"\
Dir. technique LUCCAS                  AGAINST HTML MAIL & NEWS \ /