Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2012 05:20:18 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
Subject:   Re: Is this something we (as consumers of FreeBSD) need to be aware of?

Snippet from Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>:

> I don't know of any user personally who purchased a new PC and then
> threw FreeBSD on it. Most users that I have come into contact with use
> 2+ year old units that have been replaced by shiny new Windows units. I
> don't see that changing anytime soon.

I did, or almost.  Before installing FreeBSD, I tried unsuccessfully to install NetBSD, figuring I'd start with the least stable of (NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux) and not risk messing up good Linux and FreeBSD installations.

Then FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 was released, and I went with that: now on 9.0-STABLE #9.

That was on a computer that I built from parts in May-June 2011, meaning modern hardware including UEFI, but no "secure boot".

Tom