Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:40:54 +0100
From:      Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: 80386 out of GENERIC

Dear/Beste Mark,

Saturday, December 14, 2002, 11:15:24 PM, you wrote:

>> > Support for the 80386 processor has been removed from the GENERIC
>> > kernel. The default FreeBSD kernel is now more optimized for modern
>> > CPUs. No longer do you have to settle for performance draining
>> > compatibility with hardware you haven't owned in a decade.
>>
>> I don't feel this is a good decision. (I still have a 486, act as
>> a small server and a 286 witch is in storage) This basally means
>> that any one who doesn't have the latest processor can't install
>> FreeBSD.  (I could be wrong) Having a option during the installation
>> to use GENERIC or PENTIUM (IV) would be far better. A option to
>> enable/disable hardware compile one own kernel would be great to. I
>> never owned any SCSI devices in a decade.

> Be careful that you are not asking for something that is too one-sided.

I didn't. I asked for something that is many-sided; at leas for as far
processors are concerned. (Its a point of view)

> FreeBSD-CURRENT is aimed at the bleeding edge. The fact that it runs
> AT ALL on your hardware is GOOD. _However_, FreeBSD is not going to
> let CURRENT be held back to some low denominator that is no longer
> commercially available.

I got the impressions that it was here to stay. If it comes back when
current becomes stable, then you should consider my opinion as not
spoken out.

> You are in the minority. You have a way to run FreeBSD-CURRENT, you just
> don't have it in the default install. :-)

These though really aren't for me. My most powerful PC is a Pentium
133 MHz. Its not impossible to get around.

--
Best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex