Date:      23 Feb 2003 00:30:34 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Steven White <stevelyn@attbi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gnome2 ports installation failure

--=-9+F58YYcyT+B/mvwy0KH

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 22:17, Steven White wrote:
> Greetings,
>=20
> Although I said my previous e-mail would be my last, stubborness and=20
> frustration do not allow me to give up, although they do allow me to swit=
ch=20
> operating systems. In particular, I have been quite frustrated by the lac=
k of=20
> acceptance of my mail by your MDA, as detailed in the attached response.
>=20
> Since I have found it very difficult in this case to participate producti=
vely=20
> in the BSD community, I have decided to return to SuSE as my primary OS. =
In=20
> the time that it has taken to receive at least three email rejections fro=
m=20
> your domain, I have successfully reconfigured my FreeBSD box to be a SuSE=
=20
> system. It is quite unfotunate since I really liked what I saw as a resul=
t of=20
> running FreeBSD for the past 6 months, but in the world of open source=20
> software, impediments to communication, such as those evidenced by your=20
> selection of filtering for your MDA, ensure the demise of certain intoler=
ant=20
> entities such as your own.

You're complaining to the wrong people.  No one on this list has any
control over FreeBSD SMTP server.  However, I do the same thing you're
doing (i.e. have a NAT'd internal network with one external, routable,
address), and my mail gets through no problem.  I use straight sendmail.

In any event, your problem with GNOME is quite simple, and could have
been avoided altogether if you have read the GNOME 2 FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html (specifically, QA 5).=20
Basically, your version of devel/pkgconfig is too old.  You need to
update it before building GNOME.

Joe

>=20
> Good Luck,